Quality of open data

(Meryam Belhiah) #1

Hi there,

In your opinion, what are the most important data quality dimensions to consider when evaluating the quality of open government data.

For the moment, I am considering these :slight_smile:

1. Accuracy
  2. Completeness
  3. Timeliness
  4. Pertinence

Thanks in advance.

Meryam Bel

(Kyla Jeffrey) #2

Meryam,

There is a lot of concepts related to your question, let me suggest a paper used in my current research, that you might find useful.

You will find a section called Data Quality, where Attard mentioned others important dimensions, such as Usability, Completeness, and Openness.

Attard, J., Orlandi, F., Scerri, S., & Auer, S. (2015). A systematic review of open government data initiatives. Government Information Quarterly, 32(4), 399–418. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.giq.2015.07.006

Just let me know if you need more related info.

Fernando Benitez
@mfbenitez

(David Rey Jordan) #3

Hello @meryam.

A good metric to evaluate the quality of open government data is MELODA.

MELODA​ analyses six dimensions:
● Legal framework
● Technical Standards
● Accessibility to the information
● Data model sharing
● Geolocated information
● Real-time information

Regards,

@davidrjordan

Abella García, A. (2016, marzo 8). Metric for releasing open data (MELODA 4.0) [Project web site]. Recuperado 31 de marzo de 2016, a partir de http://www.meloda.org/

Abella García, A., Ortiz de Urbina Criado, M., & de Pablos Heredero, C. (2014). Meloda, métrica para evaluar la reutilización de datos abiertos. El profesional de la información, 23(6), 582-588.

(Beth Noveck) #4

Looking forward to reading Kyle’s paper. At the risk of stating the obvious, I think you need a second dimension or column as evaluating the data’s quality – and even choosing the relevant variables – depends on the use and intended goal. In other words, timeliness will depend on the need. For example, arrest data might need to be published infrequently to afford time to clean up, redact and correct errors. But air quality data in order to be of use to people in planning their day would need to be collected and published with a high degree of frequency. My colleagues have very useful guidelines and recommendations in this report Open Data’s Impact

(Meryam Belhiah) #5

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I don’t have access to this paper. Is it possible for you to share it with me?

Meryam

(Meryam Belhiah) #6

Hello David,

Thanks for your reply. I’m particularly interested by the evaluation of quality that is data oriented.

If you have anything that can help.

Meryam

(Jose Gonzalez) #7

Hi Meryam, i can share it with you… i just need you email adress…

(Meryam Belhiah) #8

Thanks Jose,

meryam.belhiah@um5s.net.ma

(David Pastor-Escuredo) #9

Dear all,

I will strongly distinguish between technical quality and intrinsic quality of data.

There are a lot of requirements that open data platforms and databases. However, it will be more important the descriptive capabilities of the data for the problems they are aimed to describe.

Therefore, the assessment of quality does not only rely on technical aspects but also more qualitative aspects that require specific rating mechanisms.

Best,
David

(J. Albert Bowden) #10

5 Star Linked Data is the benchmark all entities should be seeking when releasing open data. Not sure if this addresses the quality part of your question, but helpful nonetheless:

(Bernhard Krabina) #11

check out the 8 criteria of internal data monitoring in the Open Government Impelementation Model:
http://www.kdz.eu/en/open-government-implementation-model