Countries experiences in presidential election's transparency

(Hossein Malek) #1

Hi everyone

I’m a member of Transparency4Iran, one of the few groups working on transparency in our country. We have had some good experiences during our last election and now facing with the big one; the most important political event in Iran.

Our presidential election will be held on April and we have chosen the topics below to promote transparency and accountability during this golden time:

1. Tracking Promises
  2. Proposed Cabinet members
  3. Assets and income disclosure
  4. Presidential official Action Plans
  5. Candidate viewpoints on different issues
  6. Election Funding amounts and sources
  7. Election Spending amounts and sources
  8. Candidate Career

We are looking for any experience on such topics in differnt countries. We look forward to here from you about any resources, empirical experiences and skilled related people to the mentioned topics. If so, please let us know.

@beth , In Iran we are taking our first steps in our approach to transparency, therefore, knowing best practices will help us choose the best steps according to our circumstances.

We would be thankful if you enter your notes and comments in the following sheet: https://goo.gl/cmNMyd

Thank you
Best Regards

(Sorry if it’s not right place to ask!)

(Augusto Herrmann) #2

Hi, Hossein!

Nice to know that you are looking to collect the positive experiences around the world about transparency and accountability related to elections and the political process.

We’ve got so many of those kinds of experiences in Brazil that it is really hard to answer all at once.

Civic Stack
I will start with Civic Stack (which was created in Argentina, by the way), which intends to be an index of open source civic technologies for the public good. Check it out, fork it and translate it to other languages, submit information on other tools you know about. That way, more people can get access to them and use them in other parts of the world.

Mudamos+ (Change+)
An open source app by ITS-RIo for collecting signatures in support of citizen initiated legislation proposals. Winner of the Google 2016 Social Challenge program.

Voto Legal (Legal Vote)
An open source platform by AppCivico for collecting legal and transparent donations for political campaigns. The donation information is registered on a Blockchain for increased transparency (see the FAQ).

Quem me representa? (Who represents me?)
A machine learning tool made by a team at the Federal University of Campina Grande. Answer a few questions about important issues in Brazil and see which politicians and parties have voted similarly to your political position in the political landscape.

Mandato Aberto (Open Mandate)
A platform made by AppCivico that allows politicians willing to use it to better communicate with their constituents, offering access to transparency information on the expenses, calendar information, voting and other parliamentary activity information. It also offers a chatbot that learns as it communicates with the voters. The politicians can also consult with their constituents to check how they position themselves about certain issues (public consultations) and mobilize for specific campaigns. Apparently it is open source (there is mention of the Affero GPL license), but I couldn’t find a link to the source code.

I realize it is now too late for the April Iranian elections, which was the intention of the original poster, but I hope this information helps people looking for civic tools in other places or other times.

(Mohammad hossein Khani) #3

Hi @augusto ;
thanks for your great reply :slight_smile:,
during our election period, we registered everything we found in https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rz78T_rhwoOhiWtQyuWlXckuTmRYgJuvvM41XJr2_6A/edit#gid=714204995

hope be useful.